The Director of Officials, in collaboration with the Tournament Director, Co-Directors of Competition, and the Assistant Director of Officials, is responsible for selection of officials. The Director of Officials, along with the Tournament Director, is also responsible for being involved in selecting any additional staff necessary to assist with the training and evaluation of these officials.
Required Elements for Eligibility:
- Commitment to serve minimum of five years in this position.
- NIRSA Professional membership throughout term of service.
- NISOA Certified Official throughout term of service.
- Availability to participate in monthly teleconference meetings.
- Unrestricted access to the internet and good working knowledge of email and online systems.
- Strong leadership and communication skills.
Preferred Qualifications for National Tournament Director of Officials:
- Have experience in soccer as a player, coach, official, or volunteer.
- Have served in a leadership position in one or more Championship Series Regional or National Tournaments.
- Two years of experience as an active official in the same sport (high school, college, USA Soccer Amateur Adult).
- Have established relationships with officiating camps, organizations, or conferences (high school, college).
Responsibilities include (in consultation with the Tournament Director):
- Serve on Protest and Appeals Committee.
- Recruit and Select NISOA certified officials to work the tournament.
- Provide training, evaluation, and feedback for selected officials, consistent with the highest standards of the officiating avocation and of NIRSA Championship Series principles of professional development.
- Assist in the application and selection process for the Assistant Director of Officials.
- Act as liaison between NIRSA and NISOA, in collaboration with the Tournament Director, in development to ensure successful tournament.
- Assist in the development and oversight of a Student Official’s Development Program in collaboration with the Tournament Director, Co–Directors of Competition, and the Assistant Director of Competition (when applicable).
- Assist in the coordination of travel for selected officials.
- Other duties as assigned by the Tournament Director.
The selection committee will choose to select the current Assistant Director of Officials or open the application process to the NIRSA community in a timely manner for the following year’s event.
- Director of National Sport Programs or Designee
- NIRSA Championship Series Vice Chair or Designee
- NIRSA Championship Series Soccer Work Team Chair
- Co-Directors of Competition
- Previous Director of Officials (when applicable)
- Member of Results Operation Team